Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Ugly Duckling becomes a Beautiful Swan

~I'm free!~



Once upon a time I was like a caged bird that had clipped wings and confined to live my life in a cage. But then life opened the door to freedom and allowed me to have the opportunity to fly anywhere my heart desires. What caused this freedom?
It was sparked by the braces coming off this past week!

You see before I had the braces, I was an ugly duckling with a excessive upper beak, but with patience and help by an amazing orthodontist (and staff) they transformed this beak into a beautiful mouth.

 This transformation was not even close to occurring overnight. Oh no, 29 long months of time had to go into the process of turning the ugly duck into the swan.  Not only was time a factor in this transformation, but also being a volunteering to be a guinea pig. I underwent having 12 screws 
placed into my mouth to help correct the issue. Yes, I had 12 real screws that were drilled/ twisted/ forced into my jaw bone and upper palate bone. Luckily they were not all at the same time. At one moment I had, I think 5 in at one time. So you may be thinking, why so many then? Well some of them were pushed out by my bone rejecting it the metal, some became loose, and some of them became imbedded and my palate healed over it.



 Now, why did I feel captive, because I was. I couldn't go anywhere too far, because I always had to be back in the following 4-6 weeks to get them tightened, new procedures, or just a check up. It was while caged that I thought and tried to decide what I want to do with my life. Keep my roots in an area or move, bounce around the country. By being stuck here didn't help my hunger to travel. I want to go to Boston and see the roads John Adams walked. I want to visit Andy in Chicago and work in a museum making history for others come alive. 

And now, my transformation is complete. After being in braces for 6 years all together(a few months in elementary and 3 years in jr. high), my teeth are beautiful, and I am so happy with them. My dreams are now in reach to becoming reality with the cage finally off of me and allowing me to spread my wings and fly.

I'm so free, I went to mars!!
Don't get me wrong, I still want to teach, but since I suck at standardized test puts that particular dream to be put on hold until it becomes a giant mountain that gets off that path. I love teaching and I miss it more than anything. But until that test becomes a mountain in my rear view mirror, I have to put other dreams ahead of it so I don't become stagnate. But right now all I can do is continue to lick my slimy, shinny, beautiful, gorgeous teeth!!

It was very fun to watch my friends this past weekend try and decide what was different with me and finally someone realized that my chains were off and I was free!!!! 
We had a blast getting chased by security in Gateway, apparently you cannot do scavenger hunts....that didn't stop us. What a blast, I loved being with everyone. It was just what I needed to get my spirit up and my heart ready to take flight!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kylie you look beautiful! It is the best feeling getting braces off! I can't imagine having them for 29 weeks though! Yay you are free!

    ReplyDelete